Phone: (480) 234-9225
Website: www.TomWeiskopf.net

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Smart Phone Nitty Gritty: A Realtors® perspective


It’s the dawning of a new era and I have succumbed.  Succumbed to the power, magnetism and the inevitable ball and chain of a smart phone.  For I am now connected, always, and surely smarter, wiser, busier and more successful because of it.
I’ve never been technologically progressive and am usually a late bloomer when it comes to related issues.  That’s especially true since there are no fifth graders around to program the DVR or TIVO and/or generally "hook me up".  I never really felt it was necessary, and besides, what could possibly be so important, so urgent that it could not wait until I got to a computer?
I remember when call waiting first came out.  How rude!  How could someone with any sort of couth have the nerve to put you on hold when you’re talking to them, right? Here you are in the midst of a conversation and the person you are talking with puts you on hold to answer another call.  They might have well just said, “Your call isn’t important nor a priority; another call is coming in that is more important/exciting/interesting than yours”.  I recall just hanging up on more than one occasion.  Then cell phones came out.  I couldn’t imagine what could be so urgent that one had to make calls while standing in a grocery line or walking to a meeting.
What is it with these people?
Of course, I saw the light of day and became a cell phone carrying member of society in 2004.  Told you I was a late bloomer.  It was nothing fancy, mind you.  Just a phone that just made and received calls.  It gave me immediate importance.  I could talk to whom I wanted anytime, anywhere.  Ah, such power.  Anyway, I quickly learned they are essential devices and felt much more productive.
Then came the smart phone.  The same pre-conceived notions I tend to have with any technological advance cluttered my thoughts.  What could be so important, so urgent, so pressing that one had to be mesmerized by the screen on their smarty-pants phones? 
What is with these people? They’d be texting and reading and watching and listening to all kinds of technologic stimuli everywhere - in the grocery line, on the highway, at a banquet, in the temple, on the tread mill, at the urinal.  I supposed they’d even sleep with them.  Many people are so glued to those little smart phone screens, they are down right rude.  They’d bump into you walking, be short with you or flat out ignore you.  Seriously?
What is it with these people?
Get a life. Why get lured into the trap of smart phone and into a place where you can’t get away, ever? You’re connected all the time.  That’s like working 24-7. What is it with these people?
Well, the reality is, in real estate, we do work 24-7 and our clients expect us to.  We’ve got to be smart and any agent worth more than a hill of beans couldn’t survive without one.  According to NAR, well over 75% of real estate agents are now using a smart phone.   
And, so, I am connected.  I am now one of “those people” that was so annoying in the past.  I learned to embrace technology with full gusto.  And, I’m smarter for it, too.  There are some things I’m not interested in advancing, though.  I don’t do Twitter, so don’t expect me follow you; I'm not interested in your tweet.
Not only am I connected and can tell you anything you want to know about the home we’re parked in front of (that didn’t come up on the search because it didn’t match your requirements) because I have access to the MLS, the news, the maps and the apps.  My phone dings, rings, chimes and buzzes all the time. Don't dare try the vibrate mode unless you're behind close doors.
My smart phone makes me smarter and busier.  And, I’ve learned a thing or two by owning one.  Like what is so occupying to smart phone owners.

Like those billboards we’d see in the ‘80’s with bold letters, “I FOUND IT” on them, I too, have found the answer to “What is it with these people?”  I know what they are so intently concentrating on.
Words with Friends.
Photos from Flickr. Couch photo coutesy of nate steiner. Words with Friends photo by Vince Viloria.

1 comment: